Flex and Alfresco: made for each other

This post was written by jimrobson on August 25, 2008
Posted Under: Alfresco, Community, Flex

In case you haven’t heard, Alfresco is an impressive open-source content management system. And of course you probably wouldn’t be reading this blog if you didn’t already know that Flex is a killer technology for building world-class user interfaces. Seems like someone should put the two technologies together, no?

Alfresco plus Flex is love

As it turns out, Alfresco has released a Flex SDK that makes it really simple to integrate a Flex UI with an Alfresco CMS installation. If you want to learn more, check out this webinar tomorrow at 12:00 Eastern. We’re going to build a Flex application and integrate it with an Alfresco back end right before your very eyes.

Tags:

Reader Comments

Just watched the recorded version of the webinar. Pretty interesting. We are looking at using Alfresco for an internal project, but it looks like it might be overkill. Would it be appropriate for small companies (pricewise, overheadwise, etc.)?

Also, was that PureMVC I saw in some of your other projects in the webinar?

#1
Written By Raleigh on August 26th, 2008 @ 4:23 pm

@Raleigh,

Yes, I think that Alfresco can be a good choice for small organizations. Remember, it’s open source, so you can start out with the free version, and add support etc. as your needs grow.

And yes, that was PureMVC you saw; I’m working almost exclusively with it these days. In fact, I have a sample PureMVC app in the Manifold project: http://www.robsondesign.com/blog/index.php/2008/03/10/puremvc-201-manifold-and-index-cards/

Do you work with PureMVC, too?

#2
Written By jimrobson on August 26th, 2008 @ 10:07 pm

I agree with Jim. small organizations can benefit greatly from Alfresco. With a little investment in time to get up to speed on its capabilities you can really fly with it.

#3
Written By harry on August 27th, 2008 @ 9:16 am

Cool, thanks for the info about Alfresco - I’ll have to set up a test server and poke around in it a bit.

RE: PureMVC - It took a bit to get it soaked in, but now I wouldn’t think about doing a Flex or Flash project without it.

#4
Written By Raleigh on August 27th, 2008 @ 10:13 am

Hi there, just watched the recorded webinar.. pretty interesting.. and yes it is cool indeed.. I’m trying to run your code and at the same time learn more but it is unable to open the “libs”. I think it is searching for the Alfresco-Flex-Framework.swc.. where can I get the swc file?

#5
Written By chonchon on September 9th, 2008 @ 2:29 am

Hi! I was surfing and found your blog post… nice! I love your blog. :) Cheers! Sandra. R.

#6
Written By sandrar on September 10th, 2009 @ 11:20 am

Hi, Jim! Your blog is greatly appreciated. Please, do you think the “Flex” way is as flexible as AJAX+web forms way, I mean for a developer of RIA client?

#7
Written By esafonov on October 18th, 2009 @ 4:22 pm

Esafanov,
Yes, I think Flex is about as flexible as you can get, because so much of the framework is open source, and it is all extensible. Also, I personally find it much easier (and saner and more rational) to work with the Flex framework than having to deal with huge JavaScript libraries.

#8
Written By jimrobson on October 31st, 2009 @ 9:49 am

Up till now Flex and Alfresco have been great while I have been “getting” data, but now I am trying to “put” data into Alfresco through their provided webscripts and am getting nothing but errors. Everything seems to revolve around json objects, and while I think I am doing it right, my flex app keeps blowing up.
Have you ever seen, or done a project that successfully calls an Alfresco webscript passing a json object from flex?

#9